Baby Countdown

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Friday, August 7, 2009

Our Little Juvenile Delinquent...


So, our parents have bigger mouths than we do which is why, for many, this announcement doesn't exactly put the "new" in "news." I was wanting to wait and announce this with a picture or something else big but I guess I will just have to settle with: I'm preggos. I think I forget sometimes that yes, I am 30 years old and can't continue to say "hey, what's the rush? I'm still young, I've got plenty of time to have kids!" No ma'am. Not no mo'. The time has come. Ben and I are both very excited.

I go to the doctor next week so hopefully, everything will be ok. I have this fear that something will go wrong since I am only 10 weeks and now, since everyone is starting to know, there will be a problem that I will have to then announce to the masses. I know, I know, I am weird and have some serious hang ups but that's what makes me so awesome. I will update after the doctor's appointment next week.

This story is something only an animal lover could truly understand:
Well, Ben and I had an awesome vacation in Palm Beach, FL with my entire family. This has started to become a tradition since this was our second summer and we have already booked the condos for the next summer thanks to my dad's timeshares. We have two condos every year that are ocean front and only steps from the beach. Really, I should still be in Palm Beach and not sitting here in Abilene typing this post but this year was a little different. Heather and Taylor hired a housesitter to stay at their house and watch their dog and cat. Eleanor, our chihuahua, was also going to stay with them for the week. Wednesday night, Taylor tells Ben that he has some bad news. The housesitter's called and said Eleanor is missing and has been since 9:00 that morning. He said they have been all over the neighborhood and called the pound but have not been able to find her. Well, I seriously freak out. If you haven't figured out yet, Eleanor is my child. I think when you don't have children of your own your pets tend to take over that role so this was more then just some dog missing. This was my baby missing. I start to cry like a little baby and can't stop. Heather lives in a nice neighborhood but over the past year, all the cats in the hood have gone missing and, on numerous occasions, there have been very large paw prints on her driveway from some sort of wildcat. Eleanor is a typical chihuahua and only likes 1 or 2 people so I knew, even if she is being called, she would not come to anyone but Ben or myself. I felt like, in my heart, I had to at least try to find her and comb the neighborhood or else I would never forgive myself if she was never seen again. Ben talked to a woman at American Airlines who told us we either had to pay $480.00 per ticket or use 12,500 points per ticket in order to move up the flight. He then called again later and talked to another woman who said she was an animal lover and has put her job on the line but will move up our flight for free. Anyway, we cut our incredible vacation short by two days and come home. I cried all night and all morning. We to DFW and Ben calls the housesitter who says they went to the pound and found her there. We were relieved. When we got to Abilene, we got her rabies tags, went to the pound and after doing the all the paperwork they told us which holding tank she was in and sent us back. Eleanor was sitting on a concrete floor and looked at us like she couldn't believe we were actually there. I noticed a red sign on her cage door that read "WILL BITE! DO NOT TOUCH!!" She slowly got up and came to us when Ben opened the cage but when we picked her up she started licking and waggin her tail. The worker came over and I told him we went ahead and pulled out and asked if that was ok. He said "I would have needed you to get her out anyway. She bites me!" Needless to say, she was dirtier then she has ever been, she was shedding really bad and her butt showed serious signs of diarrea. It is a complete bummer we had to come home early but we are just so thankful to God that she is safe and alive. Hmmm, coming home early from vaca to bail out our child...I hope this isn't a preview of what's to come.




Next post: Palm Beach recap with pictures. Stay tuned all 2 of you loyal "Macon Fun of the Grants" readers. Just out of curiousity, does anyone read this thing? I have gotten like 2 comments on my last 3 posts and I think one of those was actually written by me.

11 comments:

bethany said...

Congrats!!!! I am very excited for you guys and to get to follow your excitement on your blog! Yes, I follow your blog... I really enjoy keeping up with old friends via the blog world=) (And so glad your dog is back with you guys - I would have completely freaked out. I can't ever completely relax on vacations for worrying about my kids, err.... dogs. )

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I can't believe your sister didn't tell me the news first. Sorry you had to cut your trip short, but glad you came back to good news.

Heather S.

annalee said...

HOORAY! the news was still new to me!
and so glad you got your little delinquent back safely.

heatherw said...

What a surprise! I had no idea you were expecting! Congratulations Holly! I do read your blog I need to be better about commenting! You always make me laugh!

annalee said...

ps- i think the girl between you and makinzie in the old school picture is april shephard that was in caterpillars and butterflies with us.

Jen said...

i read and love your blog. congrats on baby! we are excited for you guys!

Sarah Beth said...

Awesome news! I LOVE a good dog rescue story! We are sick about our dog as well! Hey, at least you know you will be a good mom and you would jump through hoops to help your baby!

Libby said...

Congratulations! We are so excited for the baby. Love the story about Eleanor too!

TTidmore said...

I read, reluctantly, but I read. Mainly because every time I see you you hound me about reading your blog.

DavidG said...

I'm on vacation. Dogs? I have dogs?

Cheri said...

of course I read your blog. We sit each night and discuss "will she ever update her posts, or do we have to read the same ones again!" (lol) So in defense of this parent, we just hounded you until you gave us permission to tell, and we only told our bible class when you gave us permission... as soon as it was allowed we then started to tell all! Face it we are very excited.

As for our juvenile delinquent, I am glad that you got her and that she is safe. We boarded ours and as expensive as it was it was worth it. I would have been worried the entire trip.