Baby Countdown

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Family Tribute Series: Benjamin Grant

So, my wonderful husband has left me. That didn't come out right. Ben is working in Abilene this summer at a law firm so, technically he has left me but it's for a good cause. We really want to return to Texas after Ben graduates from law school so this is the best way to make that happen. Ben will be in Abilene until August 1st which TOTALLY sucks but I have several trips planned this summer to see him so, we'll make it work. May 8th we traveled 16 hours (one way) by car to Abilene but made a stop in Atlanta that night for a Radiohead concert. Radiohead rocks my world and apparently all 20-something, pot smoking, hippies worlds as well. I have no problem with the hippies. I have always loved hippie men with long hair. Throw in some dreadlocks and maybe even a little grundge under their armpits and that would perfectly describe all of my boyfriends from age 18 to say 25 (yes, you finally have your answer as to why I was not married until I was almost 27). But I digress. When I first met Ben, he was playing in a band at a small folk festival in Abilene, TX. The band was named "Ben Blake and the Latter Day Saints" and the reason I came to hear them play, you might ask? Well, I was told by my good friend Amanda Musick that they, and I quote "Are really, really bad. You have to come and hear this!" So, 11:00 a.m. on the second stage, I came to hear "Ben Blake and the Latter Day Saints." They weren't terrible which made me quite disappointed but they weren't good either. There was an exceptionally bad piano solo by the lead singer (not Ben Grant) which made me laugh (at them, not with them). After the concert ended Amanda introduced me to Ben. He had long hair and that "hippie vibe" so I, of course, thought he was really good looking. Fast forward a couple of months later and I was at a party with Amanda and, again, saw Ben. I remembered him and still thought he was really cute. Someone asked if we knew each other and I said "yeah, we've met" at the same time Ben said "No, we've never met." In my mind, I'm thinking "Who does he think he is??" Ben swears to this day that he does not remember meeting me at the folk festival. Anyway, we talked for a good 30 minutes that night and then went our separate ways. Fast forward ONE MONTH. I meet Ben again at a going away party for a mutual friend. Ben, once again, does not know who I am. This time, I'm thinking "This dude is just plain stupid because he has got to at least recognize my face!" Ben says he did remember my face but couldn't place where he met me and even if he did meet me. So, his pick up line at the going away party? "How's your Christmas?" And the rest is history.

Now, since this is a tribute to Ben I will get into the "nice" part of my blog. Let me say, I loved being single before meeting Ben. I dated a lot but still liked my independence and I was always a little scared of marriage. I don't know why I felt that way since my parents have a great marriage but I would see everyone around me divorcing and, since I don't believe in divorce, I knew the man I married had to be incredible before I would take that major step. Here is a Top Ten List of some of my favorite things about Ben.

10. Ben can answer just about any "Golden Girl" trivia question I throw at him.
9. Ben has a voice for our dog and our cat.
8. Ben will sit and watch Golden Girls, Step It Up and Dance, Project Runway, and Small People, Big World and NEVER complain.
7. Ben loves my family as though it was the family he was born into. He is especially good with my nieces and nephews who have always been very important to me. I think they love him now more then they love me (and they love me a lot).
6. Ben is funny. I don't think many people are funny but he makes me laugh everyday.
5. When I throw cold water on him in the shower, he rarely tries to get me back.
4. Ben worries about our cat Fitzgerald when he goes outside. When Fitz won't come back in, I say "screw him" but Ben will worry and wait up until Fitz finally decides to come in the house.
3. Ben dances for me. Ballet, jazz, hip-hop, you name it, he's got a dance for it.
2. Before Ben started law school and had free time at night, he would blow dry my hair for me when I didn't feel like it.
1. Ben is a good Christian man who I know will be an amazing father to our kids if we ever have any. If we are not blessed to have them, he will be an amazing father to Eleanor, Fitzgerald and the 10 cats we will end up with to fill the void...

These pictures are to show my readers how happy Ben is and has always been. Even his baby pictures show him smiling. So cute!

Ben and I on a cruise with my mom and dad


See, he's smiling and didn't even know the pictures was being taken


Wearing glasses and still smiling


A little evil but a smile still


"I drink out of a green sippy cup. (smile)."


"We wear matching sailor outfits. (smile)"


"My dad's shirt is so busy I feel cross-eyed (smile)"


I got nothing for this one. I just thought he looked really cute.


Me, Ben, Tucker and Erika at the Radiohead concert. That's right, full body ponchos.


Ben and I at the Radiohead concert


And now for your listening pleasure, just a sample of the greatness we got to experience.

6 comments:

Sam said...

Good post! I am glad that someone else feels all mushy-gushy about their husband too! Sorry you guys have to be apart for the summer, that sucks. I'm sure you guys will make it through, glad you will at least be able to come for some visits. I hear you are coming down for Daniel's wedding.

Ben Grant said...

According to the top ten list I spend my free time watching Lifetime Network, fixing your hair and talking in funny voices...wow. I don't care. Love it.

Holly Grant said...

yes, and you are the best husband ever! When you get back to Georgia I'll watch ESPN and burp a lot with you.

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like your husband and my husband should get together for a dance off. Damn that'd be awesome.

Anonymous said...

Uh, first of all for the record, I never said the band was "really bad". I believe the Holly "Watts" Grant 'hyperbole' has gotten the best of this story over the years. Secondly, I am VERY excited I got a second mention on the Macon Fun of the Grants blog...I mean I'm practically famous. Thirdly, where can I get a husband that will watch Project Runway with me? Ben, you are my new favorite friend-husband. Fourthly, when am I gonna get a spotlight on the revenge of the nerds special. I mean, come on Holly, which of your friends is the coooolest Looser you know? Well as the President of the Loooser club I will grant you special access to the club if I can make it on to the Revenge of the Nerds special...let me know; we'll work out a deal.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I am at work, and wished Ben a happy birthday on facebook, and came across your blog on his profile. I think it is the cutest thing!! Wonderful top ten list of reasons why you love Ben. The blowdrying the hair was my fave!