Baby Countdown

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Friday, June 13, 2008

Random Stories, Random Thoughts, and that Random Diane Lane

So, with Ben gone and our closest friends, Tucker and Erika, gone also (Tucker is in law school and working out of town) I don't have a lot going on that is really "blog worthy." I mean, don't get me wrong I stay really busy but nothing I think my blogging public would really want to read about. This being the case, I have decided to grace you with two stories I find funny but am not really sure they will translate through a blog. You can just leave me a comment and let me know.


Ok, for the first story. I was talking to Ben on the phone and we were talking about how, lately, when he gets to spend time with the family I am not there but when we go to West Palm Beach I will be with the family and he won't. We were laughing at the fact that we just can't seem to spend time with everyone together. So I said "When I'm in Palm Beach I am going to call you and laugh in your face." (**explanation: Basically, since Ben is in Texas and I am alone in Georgia, I am happy that I will finally be in the middle of everything and he will be alone. Does that sound mean? Oh well, get over it.**) Ben responds "Well I laugh in your face, behind your back, everyday. It doesn't make since but I still do it."


My uncle, LeRoy, and I were at a flea market called Smiley's last weekend. I have heard about Smiley's from a lot of people who said I had to go and experience what is "Smiley's" so I mentioned to LeRoy that I had never been and he suggested we go after we mow my lawn on Saturday. Let me tell you, this was the biggest square feet of pure crap that I have ever seen. We found a box full of markers that looked just like "Sharpies" (Registered trademark) and were saying what a good deal 99 cents was for 12 Sharpies when LeRoy took a closer look and said "Wait, what does that say?" Shoupies. That's right, they were not Sharpies, they were Shoupies. So, after being there for about an hour I said "I'm hungry." LeRoy looked down at his watch and I saw him tapping the face. He says, "See this watch? Look at what time it says. Now look." LeRoy proceeds to tap the face and show me the watch and everytime he shows it to me, there is a different time. I said "you need a new watch." LeRoy responded, "No I don't. It still works. When I turn the dial the hands still move so their not broken. And it still keeps the correct date. See, it says the 6th." I said, "Yeeeaaahhh, today's the 7th." **Silence** Leroy: "I need a new watch."

And now for some random thoughts:

Has anyone out there heard about this blog called "pioneer woman cooks" or something like that? Ok, I know some of my reading public reads it and some have even suggested I read it saying it is funny, sweet, blah, blah, blah. Can I just say this is one of the worst pieces I have ever read. It is cheesy, useless reading and I don't get why this lady, who posts recipes and pictures of a farm, has so many readers. I mean, I think my blog is waaaaay more interesting yet I get 3 comments, if I'm lucky, and half my friends, when asked, say they read my blog a month ago but forgot about it (Amanda). If I sound bitter, good. I meant to.

If anyone is interested in the state of my "Netflix Que: It's a Chick Flick kind of summer" here is an update on what I have watched and my often sought after critique:
Lars and the Real Girl: Loved it
P.S. I Love You: Stupid yet entertaining all at the same time
Catch and Release: Loved it
Under the Tuscan Sun: I have never seen a movie by Diane Lane and I think she is a terrible, unsexy actress. So, I wasn't really fond if this movie thanks to her. I'm going to just come out and say it. I don't like Diane Lane at all. There is really nothing redeemable about her to me. Really pretty movie though. Yeah, pretty movie.
Must Love Dogs: Again, the untalented and unsexy Diane Lane. Hated it.

I will be watching The Hours tonight which is one of my all-time favorite movies. If you haven't read the book/watched the movie/listened to the Phillip Glass soundtrack and are feeling like something is really missing in your life, then I bet this would solve that issue.

I love the two songs from the new Coldplay album that have been released. I have pre-ordered the album from iTunes and am really pumped to listen to it. Oh and in case you didn't know, Coldplay really rocks my world...I mean totally.

Does anyone out there watch Top Chef on Bravo? If so, don't you think Richard TOTALLY deserved to win? I also loved when Andrew ended one of the episodes with "I have a culinary boner right now." That made me laugh...Anyone else? No..?

Our friends, Jen and Hayden, are getting married this weekend in Austin and I wish I could be there enjoying it. I guess me and Diane Lane will just have to learn to get along.

Fitzgerald and Eleanor said to tell everyone "hello"

14 comments:

annalee said...

i can't stop laughing at the "shoupies." i have said it aloud to myself several times now and it gets funnier each time.
i love the hours too. if you get bored tonight, try to imagine diane lane playing each character in it. that would be out-of-control.

Makinzie said...

hello friend. i will comment. i want to see you next time you're in texas. i think you're funny.

annalee said...

my in-laws do indeed have a cat named chicken salad sandwich.
my husband did name her and i think you made his day that y'all vote it best cat name ever.
to me the best part of chicken's name is when the vet's office calls to awkwardly say, "um yes, i am calling to say that (pause, pause, pause) chicken salad sandwich has an appt tomorrow." gets me every time!

Makinzie said...

we're going to miss eachother. matt and i won't be back until the 8th. is there another time you'll be in tejas soon?

TTidmore said...

I will have to defend Diane. I first saw here as Lorena Wood, the lovable prostitute in Lonesome Dove. That is still one of favorite movies/mini-series, and she played a great hooker. So take it easy on Mrs. Lane.

Holly Grant said...

Taylor,
Ok, fine. Diane Lane is a good hooker (I'll just have to take your word for it) but I refuse to give her cred for anything else. Have you seen her in Must Love Dogs? I challenge you to make it through the whole movie without having serious doubts that the charming John Cusack and hunky Dermott Mulroney would ever really fall for her. I'm just saying...

Ben Grant said...

I love you, miss you. Holly, you are hilarious; I love it.

Holly Grant said...

Thanks Wen. Love you Too!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

WooHOOOOOO! I made it on to your blog, lalalala. I just want to second that Richard should have won Top Chef. I also want to say that for a second I thought the bitter Les was going to win and I was seriously going to throw a shoe at the television and never watch that show again if it happened. But then curly hair girl won, which is way better then bitter Les. winning...but I'm sorry Bacon Ice Cream and Banana Scallops so beats Lemon Pound cake. I mean, HELLO, I can make a freakin' lemon pound cake and you don't see me on Top Chef.

Sam said...

Holly,
I miss your blog when you don't write. I love your story about the "shoupies", that was hilarious! Missed you at the wedding this weekend. It was super hot though, but fun! Will see you at Daniel's wedding in a few weeks. Keep the blogging coming, even if it is random. Also, you should give Diane a try in one of her first movies, it's called "A Little Romance", she is only about 14 or 15 but she is not as whiny and sad as she is in Under the Tuscan Sun and Must Love Dogs. Check it out, if you hate it then strike Diane off your list forever as a bad actress!

Anonymous said...

You like Phillip Glass soundtracks? I never new. Ben never said a thing. - David
PS - I think I've registered for about a dozen of these blogs but can't seem to add a comment as a friend. So, once again in my life, I'm just anonymous. Feelin' guilty, yet?

Holly Grant said...

David-
Actually I have told you AND Ben told you I like Philip Glass but you must not listen to us. Now who feels guilty?! Just kidding. We would like some burned copies of some Glass if you have any you are willing to share.

Mere Ware said...

Holly-great post. I love funny stories. I need to get to A-town soon so I can do a revenge of revenge of the nerds on my blog. Surely I can find some quality photos that are different than the ones you posted.
Random cat name: Laine(my niece) named thier cat Pumpkin-batman. Same situation as Annalee...always a little awkward when the vet calls.

Cheri said...

So did Leroy get a new watch? Have you watched Juno yet? Loved it!
I have never been more amazed at how much useless junk there is at those flea markets. But it is great people watching!!

Also, tell anonymous that if he asks his wife maybe she can fix his computer mess... and he won't have to hide anymore....

You are hilarious and make my day!