Baby Countdown

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Revenge of the Nerds Part 2: Meredith Thomesen Ware


Alright, the time has come that everyone has been waiting for. We are on to part 2 of my Revenge of Nerds series and our featured player is Meredith Thomesen/Meredith Ware/Teredith Momesen/Megadeth/Daddy long legs/Mere Bear. I met Meredith in 1st grade at Taylor Elementary and we were instant friends. We never had the same teacher after 1st grade but remained best friends. We were always together and lived within walking distance of each other. I have a lot of good memories of our friendship and even though we haven't seen each other in years, I love her to death and she will always be in my "elite group" of lifelong friends. Ok, enough of the mushy stuff. Let's get down to the stories. I remember Meredith as being the only girl who was as tall as me, which I loved. She was really into tennis, had long skinny extremities and was always looking for ways to unfrizz her frizz. She was also hilarious which, to this day, is still a top priority I look for in friends. Here are some of my favorite stories of Meredith and me:
1. We would take her poor striped orange tabby, Dot (who would literally climb the wall using the wallpaper to hang onto), and dress him in doll clothes. We would then put him in a stroller and walk around the neighborhood thinking people actually believed we were walking a real baby.
2. We would close her mom and dad's bedroom door so Dot couldn't escape and play "Cat Olympics." We would, again, dress Dot up, put him in the same stroller and do a processional where he was announced before his event. What was his event, you might ask? Duh...gymnastics. This is where the closed door comes into play. We would flip this poor, poor cat to where he was doing double, sometimes triple flips and would land on the bed and RUN. The closed door ensured we could catch him for his next event.
3. Meredith was the QUEEN of throwing parties in middle school. I don't mean, "my parents are away for the weekend let's throw a party" party but more like "Let's throw a party solely for the sake of inviting boys" party. We would sit in her room and decide who to invite, plan our outfits for a week and then Meredith would actually follow through and have the party. Her parents were always really fun and cool so her house was a great place for this. I remember the evening before one of these parties, we were at her house and one of the invited boys (I won't say who so as not to embarrass him but if anyone out there knows, you are more then welcome to post his name) came to the door, rang the bell and we both came to the door. His parents were sitting in their coversion van outside and he thought the party was that night. He had his hair slicked down and parted and was dressed in nice clothes. Poor guy. And yes, we laughed after he left.
4. One night, Meredith, Kelly Strickland and I were spending the night with Meredith and her parents were out that night. We called radio stations and requested "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred. We then ordered pizza and when the delivery guy came, we were wearing bathing suits and told him our boyfriends were in the hottub which was located in the garage. (OK, I can hardly type I am laughing too hard remembering this one!)
5. Ok, I think this is one of my all time favorites. Friday nights during football season, we would always go to the Abilene High Football games. Now this was a HUGE deal which meant we had to plan this night all week. We would decide where we were going to spend the night, who's parents would be taking us, what we would wear and what we would be doing after the game. This particular night, we were spending the night at Meredith's house and we decided we weren't tan enough. We had planned our outfits which I think we were wearing out matching Espirit long sleeve, black button down shirts with printed pieces of gold jewelry all over it, jeans and black shoes so, since our arms and legs would not be showing we came up with a "Tan Plan." We went into Meredith and Heather's bathroom and found Heather's Clinique foundation. Heather was a tennis player and lifeguard so was always really tan so, of course, her foundation was darker then our skin at the time. We put this foundation on our faces, ears, neck (only the part that wasn't covered by our hair), and our hands. We were standing outside in the sun so we could make sure the other was completely covered in foundation when Heather must have realized half her base was missing. She came out and told us never to use her expensive makeup again and that we both look like idiots. After she left, we looked at each other and said "she's right, we look like idiots" and thankfully we had a enough sense to rinse if off. Heather, I thank you for pointing that out because had we gone to the game looking like that, we would have been humiliated!!!
Ok, this is getting really long so I will stop here. I have posted some really funny pictures of Meredith and I. I have a lot so I chose the best ones. It was a hard choice!

Cross-Eyed Meredith


This was our group of friends, some we were closer to then others. If you can't tell, Meredith and I are on the right end of the diving board.


This picture has always made me laugh. I am actually taking a picture of Sarah Stuteville but Meredith was apparently hopping, alone, in the background.


I thought she looked cute here!

Matching jean shirts...


Why are my pants sitting so high on my waist?


Poor Dot the Cat.


Thick bangs, frizzy hair.


Two Peas in a Pod.


Hoola Hoop


Enjoy but beware, I have many more pictures of childhood friends so you never know when your turn will come...

8 comments:

annalee said...

wow, y'all were/are funny! i loved looking at each flashback picture.

Sam said...

I think I might have had those same denim shirts, I think we all did. Sad times...

Sara S. said...

Hi Holly,

I didn't know you very well in high school, but I always thought you were a sweet girl. I love checking your blog and getting a good laugh. I played high school tennis with Meredith, and I am cracking up at those pictures! You guys were hilarious! Very fun read!

Sara (Butler) Smith

heatherw said...

Wally,
Thank GOODNESS I came to the rescue that night, you guys would have been a total disaster. I am surprised that I was so nice about it since the worst arguements Mere and I got into were over clothes, shoes and makeup!

Anonymous said...

Meredith, you owe her BIG time!

Holly Grant said...

Heather-
You were pretty pissed but probably just thought we were little terds and you would throw us a bone this time!!!
And yes, a total disaster just about sums it up.

Mere Ware said...

Total disaster just about sums up my hair in ALL of those pictures... I completely forgot about the swimsuit incident. One word for that...awesome. AND I have never in my life seen the pic of me in the background on the Washington d.c trip. But that does about sum up my life...skipping to my own tune and not realizing when someone else might be watching.

Priceless...Wally...priceless.

Cheri said...

Ok now lets admit it we all had the denim shirts!!!!!!!!!!! my was even studded, so there the truth is out.
Now I will have to also admit that you totally destroyed that poor cats self esteem, now really you both should go to cat abuse detention.
And all us girls have to admit that we did the swimsuit thing what you left out was taking the tv and turning it up loud enough to hear the soap operas while tanning.
memories are priceless! your blog even sparks some of my own.