Baby Countdown

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Crime Really Can be Funny

Now that we are actually living in Macon and not outside of it, we have become more aware of the high...what's the word I'm looking for...oh yes, crime. Needless, to say, Ben and I were more concerned with cheap then we were with crime. Living in Warner Robins, we lived in such a nice, safe area and, to be honest, we never really thought about having to look at the crime rate in the area we were choosing to live for 3 months. Here are a few facts:

1. Macon had 22 homicides this past year. With a population of 230,000, that is a lot of murders.

2. We live at 1420 Gray Highway. On the radio Monday morning, I was listening the radio and heard about an armed robbery at 1080 Gray Highway. Apparently, Chen's Wok was held up at gun point by a man wearing a rag over his face which begs the question, whatever happened to the trusty old ski mask?

3. Tuesday morning, Ben called me and said he was listening to the radio and heard about a double homicide at the gas station on the corner of Shurling Dr. and Gray Highway where two men were killed, one was just sitting in his car. This gas station is less then 1/2 a mile from our apartment. Ok, this one is not so funny but still a fact.

4. At the gas station right next door to our complex, a man held up the clerk with a pistol and then fled into Glenwood Village Apartments. (Oh, did I mention that is our apartment complex?) My favorite part is that the robber was described as being 20-to 25-year-old black man, between 5 feet 2 inches and 5 feet 3 inches tall, who weighs between 110 and 120 pounds. If I were that store clerk, I bet I could have kicked some serious ass, pistol or no pistol. What's the worst he can do? Shoot my keecap out?

5. The CitiFinancial at 1396 Gray Highway (remember, we are 1420 Gray Highway) was robbed by a man with a silver revolver. The man, who was wearing a bandanna over his nose and mouth, is reported to have told the employees that he “was not a bad person” and that “his children will be thankful,” Awesome. That makes it all better, sir.

6. The Burger King on Gray Highway was robbed. The robbers dropped $240 in quarters while running to their getaway car, a Honda Accord, according to the report.

7. A man with a shotgun tried to rob a convenience store at 1105 Gray Higway. The owner screamed and the gunman ran away heading north. Loves it!

5. While watching a news broadcast they talked about a robbery (not on Gray Highway) and were asking people to identify the suspect that was caught on video surveillance. Here is the description they posted:
Black Male
6'1
185 pounds
Wearing all black
Possibly Cross-Eyed

This description, alone, makes all the crime in Macon soooo worth it.

And in case you are worried about us, don't be. LeRoy lent us a gun so we have our own bad-a shot gun. Nobody messes with a big, mad white woman with a shot gun under her arm.

Anyway, just to update you. We finally closed on our house a month after the closing was supposed to take place. Talk about stress. We have a contract on a beautiful home in Abilene and we are thrilled about moving into it. My mom will be flying into Atlanta on March 24 and then making the 16 hour drive with me and the animals. We close on our house on March 26 (I will be the power of attorney for Ben) and Ben's spring break will be April 6. Ben's dad will fly in to Atlanta, they will get some guys together and pack up all our stuff and then drive the u-haul to Abilene where Ben will be for a week before coming back to Macon for two more weeks and then back to Texas for good.

8 comments:

Ben Grant said...

I just thought that I would add that all these crimes Holly blogged about happened within the last 4 months! That's crazy! Also, I was reading this Macon blog and came across this article:
http://www.wmccnews.com/2008/11/30/macon-has-28th-highest-crime-ranking-among-us-cities-of-75000-and-larger/

Sam said...

Well, how fun for ya'll. I thought we were kind of rocking the ghetto when we lived in Arlington, but apparently not. Well, keep your shotgun close. I know it would be traumatic but I was pay to see someone try to rob you if you have that gun. It would be really funny later. I am glad that you have a house all squared away for Abilene. Sounds like you need to get out of Macon before you become a crime statistic!

Anonymous said...

I now know you weren't joking when you advised us not to move to Macon! I would be scared out of my mind.
Heather S.

Cheri said...

I will be so happy when you are safely nuzzled with your snuggie/slinket in good ol' Abilene!!!

lauren said...

I saw your website on facebook! I have a blog, too. It's www.lazislife.blogspot.com

So great to see you!

DavidG said...

Yep, Ben and I are going to have a road trip! Really looking forward to it!

Ben Grant said...

Totally looking forward to it! It will be fun!

lauren said...

I will add you to my list, too! All of my husband's family lives in the Atlanta area, so we are very familiar with where you live!